MAX BILL (Switzerland, Winterthur 1908-1996 / act: Zurich)
Max Bill was born on 22 December 1908 in Winterthur, Switzerland, his family from Moosseedorf in the Canton of Bern. He studied at the Arts and Crafts Academy in Zurich (1924-27), followed by an apprenticeship as silversmith (1927-29) and continued his education at the Bauhaus, the Dessau School of Arts and Crafts.
Max Bill moved to Zurich in 1929. He was active as architect, sculptor, painter, and graphic artist from 1932 onwards, in public relations from 1936 on, and as product designer as of 1944. Co-founder and director of the Ulm School of Arts and Crafts (1931-56), he gave presentations and worked on architecture and product form. From 1961-1964, he was the head architect of the Building and Design Sectors for the Swiss National Exhibit in Lausanne. He became professor at the State School for Fine Arts in Hamburg in 1967 and received awards, honors and an honorary degree. In 1968, he received the Zurich Art Award and has been exhibiting frequntly since that time. His Constructivist sculptures for public squares as well as his paintings have become popular in America, Europe and Asia. He began writing monographs and catalogs in the 1950s. He also published fourteen books of folio works.
Max Bill died at the age of 86 years on 9 December 1994 during a visit to Berlin. His estate is in the hands of his Community of Heirs.
STABER, MARGRIT Max Bill: Reihe Künstler unserer Zeit 1971 Erker Verlag, St. Gallen, Band XVI.
HÜTTINGER, EDUARD / VITALI, CHR. Max Bill 1987 Abc Verlag, Zurich
ALBUM Max Bill 1992 Pinacoteca Casa Rusca Locarno
BILL, ANGELA & THOMAS Max Bill: Die Grafischen Reihen 1995 Verlag Gerd Hatje