Costas Klouvatos was born in 1923 in Athens. He was a student of Thanassis Apergis between 1942 and 1954. During this time he collaborated with sculptors George Zogolopoulos and Christos Kapralos. He studied for a short while at the Athens School of Fine Arts, in the studio of Dimitris Biskinis. He learned on his own the history of art, painting, and ceramics. He was one of the pioneers to establish modern foundries in Greece. He had knowledge in working with various materials; such as stone, metal, terracotta, and glass. At the centre of his concern was humanity and its problems. At the centre of his art was the place of volume in space and the value ascribed to color. Initially his work was figurative in the realistic tradition. From 1960 onwards he broke from traditional art and pursued a concentrated expressionist style, blurring the boundaries between figuration and abstraction. Significantly, it was in 1965 when he decided to rid the human form from its identifiable features, retaining at the same time its monumental and symbolic character. He was inspired by pre-Classical and popular art. Especially in his latest works, Klouvatos attempted to combine elements of Greek tradition with various styles through the ages. Moreover, Klouvatos had engaged with stage-design. He was particularly attracted to art installations in an attempt to bring together sculpture with real life. His aim was to charge relics of the past with messages of contemporary life. Late in the 1960s Klouvatos helped Kapralos to set up a brass foundry next to his studio, where he used the old method of 'cire perdue' (lost wax) to cast the works he exhibited at La Biennale di Venezia in 1962 (see Christos Kapralos, Athens 1981, p. 68).
Costas Klouvatos died on 21 May 2007, his nameday, in Athens. His son George is currently compiling a catalog of the entirety of his work.