The Numismatic Museum of Athens Greece, with a history going back to 1829, is one of the few of its kind in the world and the only such museum in the Balkans. It provides continuous educational support for Hellenism in terms of numismatics, history and art history.
The strength of the collection lies in some six hundred thousand coins covering the ancient Greek world, the Roman and Byzantine periods, western Mediaeval times and modern times, 'hoards' (closed numismatic groups), weights, lead stamps, medals and precious stones. About ten thousand volumes devoted to the special field of numismatics, to Athens' history, to seals and to archaeology, as well as off prints, fascicles, and general publications cover the archaeological material. In addition there is an extraordinarily rich archive of documents.
The 'Iliou Melathron' (Palace of Ilion), the house of Heinrich Schliemann (1822-1890), which houses the Numismatic Museum, is a work of the German architect Ernst Ziller (1837-1923) in the style of buildings of the Italian Renaissance adapted to the neoclassical spirit of the late 19th century. The building was inaugurated on the 10th of January, 1881. The walls inside are decorated with wall paintings copying Pompeian themes and the finds of Schliemann at Troy and Mycenae.
With many activities, such as scientific and informative publications (in printed as well as electronical form), cycles of educational lectures, lectures, symposia, the organization of periodic and occasional exhibitions, educational programs, participation in international programs, the Museum will become a centre of research and attraction for scholars and for the wider public.