Pierre-Louis Pierson opened a daguerreotype studio in 1844. He later began a partnership with Leopold Ernest and Louis Frederic Mayer. They kept separate studios but distributed their images under the title "Mayer et Pierson." The two became the leading society photographers in Paris. In 1861, Pierson photographed the family and court of Napoleon III that were very popular on the market. Mayer retired in 1878, and Pierson went into business with his son-in-law, Gaston Braun.