The ACG Chapel of The Three Hierarchs, was constructed in 1999 and was consecrated by His Beatitude Christodoulos (1939-2008) in 2002 with funds by individuals and comapnies. The Three Holy Hierarchs of Eastern Christianity refer to Basil the Great of Caesaria, Gregory of Nazianzus known as the Theologian and John Chrysostom, all of which were highly influential bishops of the early church who played pivotal role in shaping Christian theology. Architect Stefanos Nomikos planned it as a cross-in-square chapel commanding a total of 108m². It can hold up to 120 persons, 46 of whom can be seated (if the seating is removed, the capacity rises to over 160). The Three Hierarchs chapel is emblematic of the College's dedication to spiritual growth and is graced with icons and frescoes by John Karoussos, who is one of the best Greek hagiographers. Old bricks salvaged from demolished buildings are used for the construction of the building. Reused tiles are arranged in a wave-like pattern on all roof surfaces. Marble from Tinos is used for the interior floor, and marble from the Dionysos quarries for the screen, the Holy Altar, the iconostasis, and the exterior pillars. French oak is used for the Episcopal throne, lectern and candle-stand. The external doors are of cast iron. The windows are covered with colored glass lozenges. A list of names of benefactors can be seen in special plaques built at the chapel's side.
THE AMERICAN COLLEGE OF GREECE - ACG ART 6 Gravias Street, Agia Paraskevi, GR 15342, Athens, Greece
T: +30-210-6009800 / F: +30-210-6009811 / E: info@ACGart.gr